REVVING US UP!
Having just had a daughter – currently 3 months old, no one needs caffeine more than I do right now! Caffeine is the most widely used (and sometimes abused) food substance in the world, and has been revving people up since the 15th century. In the past 60 years, researchers have conducted more than 21,000 studies on our favourite stimulant and have concluded it definitely has some health benefits, much to our delight!
For those interested in being active:
• Caffeine mixed with carbohydrates replenishes muscle glycogen concentrations faster after exercise.
• Caffeine relieves post work-out muscle pain by up to 48%.
• Caffeine increases stamina during exercise.
For those who hope sitting around drinking coffee is beneficial, there is good news:
• Caffeine can stimulate hair growth on balding men.
• Caffeine helps ward off Alzheimer’s.
• Caffeine can ease depression by increasing dopamine in the brain.
• In Japan researchers have shown that caffeine increases memory.
• Coffee drinkers are half as likely to die of heart failure
At last, something decadent that we are allowed! But remember, try to avoid adding too much sugar. Refill your cup three times a day to get the benefits of drinking coffee. Be smarter for life!